Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fisherman or Photographer?





I recently purchased a new lens (Canon 50mm f1.8) which is referred by many as the "nifty fifty." I received the lens on Saturday and since then I have tinkered with it, taking pictures of mainly my children. This is nothing new. If you know me you know I like to photograph stuff. Interesting enough I no longer look at things the same way as I did before. I am always looking for the good shot. When I coached basketball that had a different meaning. However, now it means I might be driving down the road and notice the perspective of the road leading to the horizon or an old barn, old tractor, or almost anything and try to figure out what would be the best way to capture that feeling I have with my camera. My wife is picking up on it and I think it frustrates her a little and amuses her a lot. I noticed it a few years ago while I was fishing at a small pond catching a few bass and wham the big bite happened, I was using a plastic worm had cast it under a bush, let it sink naturally (no added weight) and the big boy grabbed it and I set the hook. The fun had just begun, the fish didn't want to give up and I... I was wondering how I could get a shot of this. Huh, not was I thinking how I was going to land this fish but how was I while reeling in going to be able to aim my camera and shoot. Well to make a long story short I caught the bass (not as big as I thought it was) and I got the shot. I wish I still had that picture file. The camera was around my neck and I just held onto the rod and kept tension on the line and with my other hand aimed and shot with a burst of photos. It was then I Knew I had went from a fisherman who liked to take pictures to a photographer who liked to fish.
My family and I are going to be in St. Louis in a couple of weeks and I am already planning on which photos I want to take. In the meantime above are some photos I have taken with my new lens.. Thanks for reading my ramblings:)

1 comment:

  1. While I do not have your talents, I do find myself looking at the world and thinking, "That would be a great picture."

    Love, love, love your fishing story! Have fun on your trip! We are leaving on July 25th.

    ReplyDelete